Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dream Catcher

Dear Bliss received callbacks after auditioning for summer season performances at Seattle Children's Theatre.


She is pictured here reading of the good news.

It was so deserved. While she still has to pass muster at the callbacks in order to make final cuts we are simply elated she tried out. I admire Olivia in so many ways and find myself almost daily bewildered that she is just 10 years old. As she performed on the beach last weekend while we were out walking the dogs Eric kept remarking, "I cannot believe we made this person. She is awesome." He is so right.

Truth be told, I am not one of those parents who is immensely proud when their child takes the stage at the school play, or with every drawing they create at art camp, or with every oral report they deliver. I do love hearing them and seeing them and soaking it in but certainly not all of it makes me gush and think they can hang the moon. But when Audrey and I listened with our ears to the door at Liv's audition, I was PROUD.

When Olivia bound out of the audition room doors and was beaming. I was PROUD.

When the email popped up on Friday telling me she was called back for two of the four plays they're featuring this summer I was PROUD.

A few people in my life have told me over the years that Olivia has star power. My girlfriend, Sue, once said to me when Liv was just two years old that she swore if Olivia flapped her arms hard enough she could fly. My dear friend, Carrie, has been one of her biggest fans since meeting Liv days after she turned five. Recently several teachers have remarked to me that she is truly outstanding- patient, creative, articulate, attentive, and loving with little kids (she serves as a junior counselor at her school's camp which was an honor to be asked). PROUD is an understatement.

Liv loves to gaze at the stars and she spends a lot of her time wishing on them. She is a big dreamer and asks us all the time, "Do you believe dreams come true?" She signs her emails, "Olivia Bliss Wilkinson who wants to be a child actress". 


I have told Eric since she entered our lives (and refused to be our little rule follower~a star likes to chart it's own course apparently) that she has bigger ideas and God has a grand plan. She greeted us on her due date with a song in her heart and a mission in her mind. I have said countless times over the past decade, "One day Bliss will rule the world. Or at the very least she will own the stage."

Appears the stars may be aligning.  And yes, Bliss, I do believe dreams come true. God gave me you after all.


Pictured here at age 3 performing for the ducks at Seattle's Greenlake


4 comments:

Stasha said...

In a few years, when talking about her success, Olivia will be able to say mommy always encouraged her to follow dreams. Precious.

fiona said...

From the moment I met Miss Olivia Bliss Wilkinson in that kindergarten classroom at just barely five years old, I felt like Fanny Brice herself would belt on "Here I am...!" There's no box, no one size fits all with Liv - she makes her own path, dreams big and gives it her best shot. So so proud of what she has achieved to date and what lies ahead.

Go get 'em Olivia - you are loved!
xo

Katie said...

Tears. Lovely post, Car. My heart is grateful. again.

Kathy Love said...

She was but an "olive" in your womb when we first learned of her impending arrival! And she is true to her name. "LIV!" She 'lives' indeed! With gusto and accomplishments already, at just the young age of ten. Bravo young one! Know you are cherished and loved not just for your talents alone. But also just because your light shines whether on stage or not!