Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Break



I feel like I am having a breakdown. Another one. Summer break if you’re me (with this wiring and this brain) SUCKS. Sorry for the crass word choice (I am sure I’ve offend myself more than you with it) but it’s apropos.

I work from home and have my own PR agency but I also double as a stay at home mom. I define “stay at home moms” as the moms who keep the house running, do the laundry, plan the meals, shuffle the kids,  schedule the camps, make the dr/dentist/hair/play date arrangements, make sure the children pen their thank you notes, etc. --you get the picture. 
I live these dual lives simultaneously. It is never a smooth road but when the kids are in school for hours it is less bumpy. While I still have to find time to exercise and do the bills and there are appts. that always need to be made or attended I do not do it with anyone underfoot. Except for 3 smelly dogs and I made this unkempt bed so I am sleeping in it.

Summer time overwhelms me. I know it’s all my fault. That’s the worst part.

I lived an idyllic childhood if you ask me. My mom stayed at home (she did all the above too --with the exception of running her own business). She could get as overwhelmed and stressed as the next mama but I never saw her guilt ridden for either having to send me to camp during a summer day created for total relaxation or from letting me squander away the sweet days of summer time doing nothing but chilling.

I drown in guilt. I am guilty that the kids are home this summer with nothing to do. They went to day camps for years and protested about going again. I never thought it fair since I never had to go as a child (if I did not wish to) and so this year I told them they could relax a bit as they are older.

I feel guilty that their way of relaxing is in front of a TV. My infamous line of, “TV does not make you smart” is sure contradictory when school’s out and I allow them to plunk down in front of the boob tube. They cannot watch TV during the week when school is in but when it’s out --all bets are off. They are great at reading in their rooms, listening to music, playing outside but there is a LOT of down time and I know they’re bored. And I feel guilty about it.

I feel guilty that they want to do projects that I half ass. You see, them tackling projects is me tackling projects. I do not have time to build a lemonade stand, dammit!

I feel guilty work wise that I  do not have total uninterrupted hours of work time. Thankfully it all gets done  (my team rocks and Lord knows I thrive on delivering). 

I know so many parents that send their kids to summer camps as they have no other choice--they work in an office and that is simply how it is. They seem to deal just fine--as do their children. 

Remember, I know this is my issue. I know this is not forever. 

I also know I have helped Audrey design and create her birthday invites and create the party day’s agenda. I have also cleaned out her bookcases and redesigned her closet with her.  Both girls have tackled sewing projects and we’ve been to the store to buy the fabric. We also spent an afternoon at the park, a morning at the craft store, and a day at the beach. 

Olivia will be in drama rehearsals the entire month of July so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Audrey is also at a drama camp and taking sewing, piano and voice lessons. It is not all bad. But it is not all good.

This is why I am having a mental breakdown. It is what it is. I have no idea how to embrace life just as it “is”. I want it all to be picture perfect with the wave of a magic wand. Active kids, checkbooks balanced, thighs toned, house tidied, clients satisfied.
It is so hard for me to see the forest through the trees when I am in the thick of things. I constantly wonder what it would be like if I just had one major role and not two. I absolutely love what I do for work and I love being the girls mama. I wish I felt more in sync. Feeling so guilty is no way to exist. 

As I type Audrey has entered the room and told me she is grateful for all I do for her and she thinks I handle life beautifully (she has no idea what I am blogging about), my husband brought home Godiva (with nuts), and my neighbor texted me asking if I was ready for a tasty Stout. Trust me, I am so very blessed and I definitely count my blessings but I would not be truthful if I did not say that a lot of the time I am overwhelmed. Very much to my dismay...

Hoping this summer to find a way to give myself a break and quiet my head, listen to my heart, and simply be.

5 comments:

Amparo said...

It is good that you write these words down because it is courage that it takes to say "my life is not picture perfect" since that is what most of us aim to be. I can totally relate to it all, mamacita. It can be a grind and the worst is the guilt that can turn into shame if we allow it. It is good you put these words down so they don't just stay in your head like gremlins haunting you. You are a wonderful woman all around and your vulnerabilities are the things that make you so amazing and inspiring. Miss you! hugs!

Pete Brown said...

KT, thanks for sharing so boldly. Knowing you are not looking for advice, cause as you say, you know the answer already. But do remember, there's only one scorecard that matters, and that's the eternal One. The lemonade can still be sold without a stand :)

Love ya Sis!

Peter

Katie said...

Thank you for reading and supporting me. A, I wish you did not feel this way at times, too. I know I am not alone in this, unfortunately. I am never sure of my "purpose" when I add these thoughts to my blog as it is not for a desire for "misery loves company" but more that I want to get them out of my head/heart.
Brother Peter, you are wise indeed and I love you eternally. E is making the lemonade stand tomorrow. oxoxox

stasha said...

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
We are all guilt ridden these days, so silly really. I wish we could be like our parents and grandparents were. All these is so self imposed. You are pretty darn amazing not forgetting very beautiful, inside and out.
Enjoy summer.

Gretchen said...

Hello, my name is Gretchen, and I don't like summer break. Shh...I hope I don't have to turn in my mom card. :)

Love everything you said, and relate to much. My guilt/no guilt comes from "just" being a stay at home mom. Yet, every time I try to get even a part time job (I was a speech therapist, and damn good, if I do say so, myself), it seems God puts his hand on my forehead and says, "Not so fast." by showing me a need (usually for my son) that I must attend to.

It's but a season.

And you're welcome to the "what were they thinking?" party sometime next year. You know why. :)