Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Girls Rock


I started my day with a wonderful phone call with my mom. It had been days since we caught up and sharing a morning chat with her was so good for my soul. She filled me in on places they're considering moving to one day soon, swapped tales of migraines when she was a mom with young kids (I had NO idea she suffered with them as well), and we discussed a few other incidentals and bid farewell. How fortunate I am to share such an amazing bond with her.

Moments later I picked up my dear friend, Sheila, to take her to chemo. We spent hours together chatting about kids, friends, husbands, and more ---we shared salads as she received her treatment and once again, I watched her move through the frightening unknown with grace. We talked about friendships and I told her how truly genuine mine are--more so than ever.

Sweet Carrie picked up Audrey from school for me as Sheila and I were running much later than expected due to her doctor's schedule. I met up with Carrie and the kids later and was again touched by the way she embraces my children (and me)--always, always there for us. More like a sister than a friend really.

Later this evening after dinner I popped into the shower which is a "womb" of sorts for me---being in water (whether it's the shower or tub) is so comforting to me--and I climb in as often as I can. Audrey girl joined me and as I sat on the little seat chilling she regaled me with stories about her day--most notably how she got a "goose egg" on her forehead. She hit her head so hard we received two calls from the school along with an accident report I must sign and return.

As she ran the pink bar of soap under her little armpit she explained, "Lily walked me over to Mr. Bill (her teacher) and she kept telling me over and over how sad she was for me. I kept telling her I would be OK and I thanked her for helping me." she continued. "Was Mr. Bill upset for you?" I inquired. "Not like Lily was," she quickly replied.

I threw my head back and laughed. "Don't make fun of me, Mama. Don't you get it?" I do, Audrey girl, more than you know--girls rock.

1 comments:

fiona said...

Back at ya.... xoxo