Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pink Gumballs, Sleeping Beauties & More










































































It was Erma Bombeck (or someone like her) that wrote about child rearing and the joys, triumphs, and frustrations that come along with it. One phrase in particular has always stood out in my mind when the writer addresses how sorry she'll be when the fingerprints on the wall disappear. I get what she is trying to say, how it all goes so fast--too fast.




























Here's some thoughts on what I will miss dearly and what I treasure daily.








Opening my purse and finding sparkly barrettes, pink gumballs and notes from the girls...




































holding small hands...and feet












kids concerts (yes, even a part of me will miss these!)




























after school chat sessions, ribbons on the dogs, giggles and flashlights inside their playtent, butterfly kisses,




























singing with their cousins




























silly spontaneous performances




























their teachers




























even their recess monitors (Liv says she just has to check in with her daily since they're good friends. Darling!)




























bed time




























sleeping beauties


























chandeliers and goldfish




























trails of books




























little friends




























sleepovers




























children's stories, tea parties, everything about this next scene...the pram, the dolls and animals Audrey has chosen to take for a stroll, the blankets, and the care that went into tucking all these little treasures in










































and everything about what was happening prior to this picture being snapped...I will miss naming these dolls with Audrey (Lucy, Maggie, and Melissa), gathering their bottles & watching her feed them. After she was all settled in with them she asked for a picture so she could send it to Meme (who gave her these triplet dolls.) I will miss her beautiful innocent, pure heart ...yet I anxiously look forward to watching her giant heart grow even bigger!
























































playdates




























playmates




























surprise notes taped on my nightstand (Audrey wrote "I Love You")




























watching them write real words for the first time (Audrey had to do an "About Me" lesson and what I want to be when I grow up--she had written, "help the needies".




























and wearing the words with pride! She taped on paper with the words"you. me. audrey. i love you." on them.




























their hairstyles




























And let's be honest, there will be many things I will not miss. Hair issues, clothes issues, whining, tantrums, bickering, the morning rush, making lunches, Raffi, guilt ridden workdays, guilt ridden workouts, guilt ridden pedicures, and the lack of naps! And yes, fingerprints on the wall.






























































































































8 comments:

fiona said...

Oh K.. this is perfect.

I love the photo montage of memories that you capture in all your posts about your sweet family!

You know I do need to write more about my kids. I need to capture the special moments that in time will be distant, but happy memories..

Katie said...

I would love to read about your kids and I would especially enjoy it since I am so fortunate to get to experience their lives. I understand that writing about my kids is not the most exciting or original topic--yet, this is my online diary so to speak and if this is too dull for some--they can pass. Thanks for reading and enjoying..o, k

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to start all over again (almost!)

Katie said...

ha, lovely to hear from you on my blog, Sheil. Missing you. k

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Katie...

I feel like I can keep in touch this way by just following what is going on in the blog. Keep up the good parenting. And before the blink of an eye the girls will be off to college so definately cherish these moments.

Cheers!

McJuicemom said...

I love reading your blog but I have a problem ... I am so happy for you and I also feel so inadequate as a mom. From this side it looks and feels like you really have the perfect family ... the perfect life.
The pictures are so sweet and I love the one of Audrey and Juice - sooo cute:-)
But mostly I feel like somehow I missed something. I've missed the time with the kids and now we are all business. No playing with dolls, not many spontaneous moments, we go by the to do list, we're efficient, we have sports practices and games, chores have to be done and a rule that says the house must stay clean for at least 24 hours after the cleaning people come so I can feel at least a little justified in spending the money for cleaners to come in the first place.
Guilty also comes to mind. You are just the best to take my sweet dancer with you and Audrey to tap lessons, which he loves loves loves! And he really loves you and Audrey, too (which I am totally fine with and grateful for, by the way! I'm so glad he has others who look after him and love him.)
I envy your way of being with your family and I know it's something that comes so naturally for you - just wish I had a little bit of it.
Well, this is good therapy. I can feel OK about putting all of this in writing and be totally inpsired by things that others might do and to try to work on those things I would love to change. I am a work in progress!!! Keep up the fantastic posts - they keep the goodness factor flowing!

Katie said...

Wow, amazing how we perceive others and ourselves, R. Your little man is so sensitive, thoughtful, and well behaved. He clearly gets that from you both. Mac is so happy and extroverted and comfortable in her skin. Again, that is due to security and love in her world thanks to you guys. I am so inadequate in so many ways and guilt ridden, pissy, etc. etc. I truly appreciate your kind words and genuine thoughts. I try every day and I know you do too. I also talk with my kids and work so hard at parenting and it is still does not feel like enough. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for making me feel so much better about myself with your compliments. I can tell you I do not have the perfect life or family but I am incredibly fortunate and I try to remember that daily. Looking forward to seeing you next week! k

Olivia Bliss said...

Wonderful post mommy! Last night when you started to cry because you were so happy. myh heart started to feel so so so good! Livvie B.