Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grammie



Today my grandmother turns 93. Here is the latest picture of us together taken last fall when I was visiting back home in New England. I am so blessed to have her as a mentor, friend, and a light in my world.






Dearest Grammie,




Generous. Courageous. Supportive. These are but a few of the adjectives I use to describe you.

You are the first to encourage my mothering capabilities when I feel helpless and hopeless. You remind me of the thank you notes I have taught my girls to write and the many baking projects I tackle with them.

You inspire me to follow my professional dreams. You earned a degree in nutrition at a time when other females did not always graduate high school.

You always put others first. Your “birthday book” is so chock full of people that you remember monthly that finding room to add new babies born into the family is a challenge!

I love to remember my childhood days with you. Baking chocolate chip cookies, your renowned Boston baked beans, goodie bags for the drive home from your house, bus visits from college, full breakfasts (complete with eggs, bacon, half grapefruit (pre-sliced, of course!) and always a warm, loving greeting.

Your voice on the other end of the phone makes me miss you so. “Hi Katie, It’s only me gram.” Only me-- you say…There really is only one you, Grammie. One fabulous you.

I love how genuine you are when you sign off each call with, “God bless you.” I have adopted it as my salutation as well, hoping to make others feel as special as you make me feel.

Happy Birthday, Grammie.

God Bless You.

2 comments:

fiona said...

What a sweet tribute to your Grammie! She looks such a sweetie too.

I hope to have such wisdom at that age (heck at MY age would be nice!)

Happy Birthday and many more!

Blessings..

Anonymous said...

Katie,
You are so much like your Grammie!! The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree here! :))What a heartwarming tribute in honor of her special day.
Post birthday wishes to a lovely lady from a Oregon admirerer!
xo,
Kath