Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hope for Bliss

Having an issue identified and being able to start down a path of how to deal with it is one of the most fulfilling emotions I've experienced. In the same way, not having direction can make me feel I'm not being heard. And fills me with dread. And hopelessness.

Eric and I are desperately trying to help our Olivia Bliss be heard. And find hope. She has a very volatile personality when things don't go as she's planned or as she sees fit. Examples are: things being moved in her room, being asked to do something she doesn't want to do, she does not like the way her clothes look, or how her posters are hung, etc. The outbursts are overwhelming. For her. And for the rest of us in the family. She reacts so strongly and so crazed that it has boggled our minds and caused an insurmountable amount of stress in our family. The remorse and despair she feels afterward is equally overwhelming. And I know she feels helpless. I have never felt more like a failure in my life than I do as a mom to Olivia because I can't stop the chaos. I desperately want her to feel in control and I see how out of control this beautiful little girl of mine is.
We've talked to drs., counselors, teachers, friends, family and read numerous books. "You need to be consistent, she needs to know she is not the boss, you need to find her 'currency' and what will make her behave appropriately." We have heard from dozens about how I should not hold her and talk with her after these outbursts since she'll think she won-- "She should go to bed and lay in the dark and really think about what she did." How I should not always discuss feelings with her --"She's just spitting back at you what she thinks you want to hear". We've been told (and we have believed) that we just need to be stricter, stronger, tougher. We've tried. And it hasn't worked. And I am not convinced that any one has been right in their well intentioned advice. Although we are grateful. But it's not working. And I believe conventional wisdom is not what we need. It has been eating away at us lately ---as she has an outburst in the car and then walks into class with the weight of the world on her little back. Or as she lays in the dark sobbing--eventually succumbing to sleep. If this is all manipulation then I WILL get stronger and stricter but Lord knows I've tried and something in my gut is telling me loud and clear that it's so much more. In an email to my dad recently I expressed these deep concerns. His response was simple and yet said so much, "Mothers know best about these issues so go with your gut and keep praying." Eric and I were beginning to feel heard. Two days ago Eric spoke to a psychiatrist on the phone and gave examples of some of Olivia's outbursts --one at age 2 and one at age 7. The dr. recommended we read, "The Explosive Child"--it's written about children who do not progress to the degree that we would hope in the areas of flexibility and frustration tolerance. The dr. who wrote the book is a professor in the Dept. of Psychiatry at Harvard and runs the Collaborative Problem Solving Institute at Massachsetts General Hospital in Boston where my brother had several surgeries. His credentials alone sold me. So I got the book and read it--voraciously. For starters, the quotes from so many of the parents resonated with me. "People who don't have a child like this don't have a clue about what it's like to live with a child like this. Believe me, this is not what I envisioned when I dreamed of having children." "I hate what I've become. I used to think of myself as a kind, patient, sympathetic person. But she has taught me to act in ways I never thought capable. I am emotionally spent." Here was one of the first paragraphs in the book as the dr. uses an example of an 11 year old girl, "Over the years her parents have sought help from countless mental health professionals, most of whom advised them to set firmer limits and be more consistent in managing her behavior and instructed them on how to implement formal reward & punishment strategies, usually in the form of sticker charts and time-outs. After eight years of disparate advice, firmer limits, medicine and motivational programs she has changed very little since her parents noticed there was something 'different' about her when she was a toddler." Bottom line--when parents punish children who do not have the skills to handle how to deal with frustrations the children do not change. This leads to reason that the behavior is not calculated so popular strategies aimed at "teaching the child who's boss" do not make sense since she is not intentionally being "stubborn/manipulative/attention-seeking/ etc". Based on that perspective he asks parents to shelf the conventional thought and assume the child is motivated to do the right thing and already knows who's boss but has a developmental delay in the skills of frustration tolerance. No one has ever told me about this and I am so relieved. To me & for now --it makes perfect sense. We shall see.

The book states, "due to these children's poor tolerance for frustration their wonderful qualities and tremendous potential are often obscured." The children about whom this book is written do not choose to be explosive (any more than a child would choose to have a reading disability). He went on, "Parents of explosive children often discover that strategies that are usually effective for shaping the behavior of other children-such as explaining, reasoning, reassuring, nurturing, redirecting, insisting, ignoring, rewarding, and punishing-don't achieve the same success with these types of children." He states the knee-jerk explanation tends to be "their parents are poor disciplinarians" And then he says, "Of course this explanation doesn't help us understand why many of the siblings of explosive children are actually very well behaved." Amen. That's when the tears came. And that's when I felt like we were now able to help Olivia. And that's when I felt like Olivia's voice was starting to be heard. And that maybe my gut was right afterall. The premise of the book is, "Children do well if they can." And now I know that Olivia needs help finding the tools to do well. The dr. writes that "there is no other group of children who are so misunderstood." This makes my heart break. Eric and I parked at the beach yesterday morning while the kids were in school and I read him pages and pages of highlighted notes. I told him that I believe her outbursts are not planned. How she is not calculated. How getting punished or not receiving an anticipated reward makes these kinds of kids more frustrated, not less. We talked about the steps we are told to take, "empathize/reassure, define the problem together, and invite the child to help solve it." And then I read this to him and I vowed to change the way I view Olivia and respond to her, "Many people believe that if the consequences a child has received for his explosions haven't caused him to stop exploding it must be that the punishments didn't cause enough pain. So they add more pain. The majority of explosive kids have had more pain than most people experience in a lifetime." I am so sorry, Olivia. We love you. We finally hear you. We know the road ahead may be a long one but we finally have a map to help us. And most of all--we have hope.

8 comments:

McJuicemom said...

It is so true - I certainly cannot fathom what you and your family go through! I can only add to your prayers that you are finally on a path of hope and peace (someday!) for all.
How is it that we work so hard to just be adequate parents and we end up feeling like failures? I know that there is no manual, but seriously, we know so much about so many other inconsequential things, it should be just a tad easier for us moms & dads.
Hang in there my dear and lean on friends when you need to!
OX, R

Katie said...

Thank you, R. I appreciate your note. I certainly do not mean to be "holier than thou" when I used those quotes that others can't relate to this instance but I do feel very alone with this particular issue with Liv. Again, we all have our crosses to bear and there are many, many things I can not relate to regarding others. I also do not feel alone meaning I do not have support but as far as being understood by the "people that are supposed to know these things" yes, I have felt that this has fallen on deaf ears. Until now--and all we can do is try and hope. Bless you, k

fiona said...

Bless you dear friend. I'm so very glad you have appeared to have found a resource that may help you and your sweet family overcome these challenges you have all faced.

All I know is that Olivia is a beautiful, articulate, highly intelligent loving child who tries so very hard to understand the challenges she faces. Her hurt is so strong; her remorse so tangible.

I was very proud of her today when she tried so very hard to describe to her friends how difficult these feelings can be for her. They listened, they understood but of course, being children, it was all too short lived..but I'm still so proud that Liv gave it her best shot.

When we try to set firmer limits for such children and they rebel, then convention tells us to medicate them (which in actuality is only really helping us to "medicate" ourselves to deal with it!) Not that drug therapies don't have their place, but then we stifle the very thing that makes these kids special - their incredible spirit.

Praying for you dear friend and echo R's sentiment - please lean on your friends for support along this journey..

Holding you in the Light - (especially Liv.. )

Katie said...

Car~
I appreciate you reading such a lengthy post and offering your insight. You all have been supportive and for that we're eternally grateful. Hoping we're on to something. I was just thinking that I finally feel empowered that things might change for the better. Thank you for being so patient with her and for loving Liv just as she is and for sharing such stories with me. She is an amazing human being and is more in touch with her thoughts than most adults! In this book that I am so "overjoyed" about at the moment he says, "in a perfect world this is what your child would say to explain how she was feeling..." and he went into this 3 paragraph speech of what a child ideally wants to communicate. Olivia does in fact articulate how she is feeling--almost verbatim what he wrote. Eric and I were stunned. The downside has been that we have not known what to do with the info. she has relayed so we've fallen back on what society preaches--punish, ignore, reward. In her case--it doesn't work. Stay tuned and much love. k

Kiwi said...

K- Olivia & Audrey are blessed to have an amazing set of parents. You and Eric care so much and make a terrific team. Even with her current challenges, Olivia is benefiting daily from your love, attention and research into what will work best for her and for your whole family. She is an incredible little girl - such energy, intelligence and spirit! And from the sound of it, very emotionally aware as well. I have no doubt things are really hard, but I also know that she is one amazing kid, and so blessed to have the two of you (and Audrey) to support her and love her in her journey to better express herself and her frustrations. I can relate, as my own emotional reactivity is something I have to work at on a daily basis. xoxoKiwi

Katie said...

Thank you, my friend. What wonderful words of support. She is amazing and this is but one of the challenges we're dealing with regarding her disposition (and our own parenthood struggles). I do trust that all will work out. God provides...if I can just remember to Let Go & BREATH when needed...k

Nick said...

Hi K ... an amazing post. One which made me cry and want to reach out and give you a hug (to be delievered on NSO). You are even stronger now with an amazing support team. As R says, please lean on us ... we're all in this together to help, to listen, and to support; always!

- M

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie!
I'm so glad that there is an answer and a plan! I knew that it was only a matter of time before help came. All I could think of when I read your post was how amazing you are for writing it, and how amazing Olivia is for trying to very hard to work on this. There is a mom somewhere whose anguish has been diminished because she did a search, found you and Olivia, and now has an answer to help her own child. My prayers are with you tooo! Love love love. Lizzie