Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter





















































































Easter Sunday is tomorrow and we can't wait! I have very fond memories of childhood Easters. Some were spent at my maternal grandfather's vacation home in Sarasota, Florida.



















Others were shared with my paternal grandparents in New Hampshire. We would wake to baskets brimming with chocolate bunnies, activity books, stuffed animals and more.










All of the females were given orchid corsages and we gathered for an early morning pancake breakfast at the local Elk's club (my Uncle Dave always worked the breakfast along with his cronies) and then we'd head off to church in the center of town.













The day was idyllic and the memories are forever cherished.





Over the years, our Easter traditions have changed some --no pancake breakfasts and no orchid corsages and we do not share the day with family as they're 3,000 miles away. But thankfully the Easter bunny visits Wilkinson Manor and tonite our house is buzzing with excitement.






















Truth be told, much of it is due to the residual effects from Olivia's big night last evening---she was a hit in her elementary school Talent Show. After weeks of preparation, countless practices (both at school and privately with her gymnastics coach) the show went on. And she was super!



































She did a solo gymnastics stint, was one of a dozen cheerleaders who kept the crowd jazzed as stage hands prepared between scenes, and she and her dear friend, Jewel, did a dance routine they choreographed themselves (from costumes to dance moves and everything in between!) The divas rocked!










As for Easter excitement, Audrey has set a "patch" outside her door to greet the Easter bunny. Numerous bunnies, a baby bear, lamb, horse "to represent new life in spring time" she told me.
















This morning we did the annual egg hunt.

Tonite we baked cookies--and decorated them.




Here's what happens when I am setting the Easter table in the dining room... while the kids are "decorating" (and enjoying the frosting) in the kitchen~








sugar crystal overload!


The girls really did a great job though!




We also got in some last minute egg dyeing~































And on the docket for tomorrow is waking up to the goodies left behind by the Easter bunny, church at 11, the neighborhood egg hunt at the park in the afternoon and then dinner with The LaMarr family! We're certainly enjoying creating new traditions and yet I will always cherish the Easter memories of my childhood. I can only wish my girls will one day say the same.


















5 comments:

McJuicemom said...

Your Easter sounds like it was tons of fun. I actually always wished I lived on the East Coast just once in my life. One of my top travel wishes is to spend a winter vacation in a cabin somewhere in the Northeast - I think that would be a blast!
Happy Spring! R

Kiwi said...

K- LOVED this post! All that is wonderful and yummy about Easter. You are sooo great at describing/celebrating memories - taste, smells, traditions and excitement! Can we come over to YOUR house next Easter?!? xoxo Kiwi

Anonymous said...

I felt I was there celebrating Easter with you after you described all your activities and saw the photos of you all in action. It was fun.
Glad you have such nice memories from childhood Easters. we did have fun then too. Love & kisses Mom

fiona said...

Yes, it was a lovely Easter and thanks to you and your darling family, you've made memories for *MY* children to treasure when they are grown up. As indeed will your sweet children; they will remember fondly, such memories......

Katie said...

Lovely to hear from you all. I adore comments on my blog--selfish I know but so fulfilling and makes me feel connected!
I hope your holiday was super, too, and you have some nice lasting memories. R--you should get to the East coast one day soon. I have many recommendations so let me know when your travels take you there--I recommend the Tamworth Inn in NH for starters! Kiwi- you're too dear. Thank you for your always thoughtful words. You make me feel so good about me. Mom, thanks for creating the fabulous memories and being my mentor (you sure are hard to emulate!) and Car, so glad you shared the day with us. It was perfect. ox, k