Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Graduate







My fabulous niece, Alyssa, graduated from high school yesterday. She is articulate, strong, beautiful, bright, driven, athletic, spiritual, and confident. I am so honored to be her aunt. I vividly remember getting the call in my Beacon Hill apartment one snowy February evening that she'd entered the world. I recall my mom describing how pink and perfect she was and how my wonderful sister in law, Carla, was enjoying a chocolate eclair after months of gestational diabetes prohibited her from eating sweets! I called my brother the next day after running to the corner florist and ordering PINK flowers. They'd just arrived home from the hospital and my brother had sat her down on the living room floor in her car seat and asked my mom if she wanted to join him on the floor and just sit and stare at her a while. Of course she did.






Aly bounded into the world with bright blue eyes, bouncing blond curls, and a broad smile and big laugh. I remember her in a sweet little bonnet at my brother Tim's college graduation. She was as feminine as can be. Yet fearless as ever. My brother, Peter, was pushing her in her stroller and let it go as he ran along side her. The two of them laughed and laughed as my mom caught her breath!






One winter just before she turned two my parents babysat Aly in New England when her mom and dad went skiing in the mountains. Eric and I had the pleasure of spending time with her that weekend. She was chatty and happy and lit up the room as she played with our old childhood blocks and books!






When Eric and I would visit my brother and his family at his in law's Florida home we enjoyed play time on the beach as Eric and our nieces buried each other in the sand. We ate ice cream cones and dined out at yummy restaurants. Alyssa was always well behaved, polite, and engaging.




Here she is as our Junior Bridesmaid alongside her darling little sisters.






When we visited their Texas home and Missouri home we got to catch Aly in action on the soccer field. She was a star! She played Varsity soccer and field hockey and always had super grades in school (she received several special awards for both academics and athletics over the years!) She was Sports Editor for her school newspaper, had an equally athletic boyfriend, and always had a tribe of friends!






Here Alyssa is at her graduation with her wonderful parents- Peter & Carla...









On our wedding day we asked Pete & Car to read from Dr. Seuss' "Oh, the Places You'll Go". It was fitting on that day and it is fitting today as their daughter embarks on a new journey.






"Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done. There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all. Fame! You'll be famous as famous can be with the whole wide world watching you win on TV....And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.) KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS! So..be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea, you're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!"






Good luck, Be well, & God bless.



I love you, Aly.





Your proud aunt~ Katie












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Katie!
Thank you so much for writing that amazing note for me! I am so honored you would even take the time out of your busy schedule to think of me!
I want you to know how much i look up to you and hope that over the next four years and beyond my life will end up as meaningful and rewarding as your has.
Wish I could thank you in person!
Say hi to the family for me!
love always!
Aly

Katie said...

Aly girl, You rock. Thank you for the note and flattering words. We miss you and love you. Blessings across the miles. AK