Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Slice of Suburbia

Jumped into my mama minivan this morning to take Audrey to school and forgot my cell phone. Ran into the house to grab it and retrieved a message from a client confirming our 10 a.m. interview with a local business journal editor. I was in a baseball hat & jeans. Thank God I had showered. I totally spaced about the appointment. I flew up the stairs and threw on a skirt and four minutes later we were off.


After the meeting I had to get to Olivia's class to edit scripts for the "Living History Museum." An hour & a half later I raced home to answer client email and tend to a handful of their needs. Then I grabbed the little signs I'd made for Audrey's class pic for her teacher's birthday celebration and raced to the grocery for ice cream cups.


All was well yet all I really, really wanted was something to eat.

Hooked up with Carrie at school pick up this afternoon and we decided to treat the kids to ice cream cones while we finally had a chance to get something to eat ourselves---yummy BLTs and avocado sandwiches, salads, and lemonade from Honey Bear Bakery. It was heavenly.





As soon as we arrived home the children were hankering to play outside in the wonderfully warm sunshine. They donned their swim suits and I filled up the kiddie pool. Moments later they'd grabbed beach buckets and were engaged in a full-fledged good old fashioned water fight. It was childhood at it's best.








Carrie had retreated to her household chores by now and I was applying the second coat of paint on our outdoor dining table.








The bustling energy of suburbia was zapped just minutes later as Audrey was yelping in pain and needed assistance which required tweezers, a steady hand, and a promise from me not to tell anyone why they were needed. Thank Heavens I managed to save the day...for just a moment.








Meantime, Olivia had come inside to get some shoes on and banged her head on the corner of the counter. She melted into tears.








As this went on inside, Alice the dog who was tied up outside, managed to get her lead wrapped around the gallon can of paint and dump the nearly full container on the lawn. On cue Frib traipsed through it and then bound into the house and onto our bed.








At this stage Audrey announces she'd just had an accident and needed my help (I wound up throwing the underwear out.. so need I say more about the severity of the accident?) Olivia's two friends were at the screen door calling for her because apparently she had just had an issue with them ("I will apologize to them but I will not tell you what it was about", she coolly commented to me.)








As I stripped the bed I tried to count my blessings. All I could come up with at that moment was, "Thank God all this chaos happened on a full stomach."








8 comments:

fiona said...

How could that relaxing lunch/supper turn into THIS!????

Oh K, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry for you. I sincerely hope that the paint is washable? Please say yes! Glad you appear to have your sense of humour intact, (or was that hysteria I could hear over the garden fence...)

hang in there....these 'events' are the kind of stories you WILL dine out on...

hugs
xo

Nick said...

O-my dear friend! Such an exciting life; how do you handle it with such humor. I love, love, love the sign for Talona. My CJ did not mention this to me so was suprised - so thought you are! And busy, busy - how do you do it all!

You are amazing, with such good humor, know how to have fun, and always a positive (glass half-full) out-look!

Thank you for being you!
Nick

Katie said...

You guys rock. Surprisingly I was not too upset (I get upset over the really petty things--ugh). Nope, the paint is not washable (it's actually outdoor deck stain in a solid color so it's not coming off!) In nearly 9 years of owning Frib I have replaced at least a dozen quilts, bedspreads, and comforters...I will not digress now. As for the glass half full it's because it's usually got some tasty brew in it! As for me "being busy" I am sure if any one of you "journaled" your day like I did in this post--we'd be rivals for whirlwind days! ooox

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! Reminds me of the time Oliver and his partner in crime, Heidi, were about three. They found my black and red shoe polish and painted my white bedspread. I howled so loud Heidi's mom heard me next door. I barked for her to come over as I tossed the troublemakers into the tub. I hid the shoe polish where the kids couldn't find it, and to this day, I don't know where it is!

McJuicemom said...

This one made me laugh, K although I'm sure you didn't think it was all that funny at the time ;-) Can you say sitcom?!?

Hope the evening turns out a bit calmer and even dare I say, boring?

Hugs,
R

Juli Rose said...

Hey Super Mom! Able to leap tall buildings, refurbish furniture, and give medical attention with one arm tied behind her back! Now, if she just had a magical recipe to remove deck stain from comforters....hmmm. You get an A+ for the day, oh and a new comforter too! Juli

KarenK said...

Oh my! Kudos to you K... that sounds like it could have been a scene out of a sit-com. Cheers to you for keeping your smile on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate!

Finally had the chance again to peek at your blog, saw this post, and could not help but to laugh. Laugh, because I clearly remember a very similar day in my own life.

Some day, years from now, you too will laugh and be thankful for such a day. It is packed with all the things you care for as you go about the day-to-day in your life. It reminds you that you are not ever really in control of any of it. It reminds you that you have more energy, devotion, and sensibility than you ever realized. And, it reminds you that you deeply, deeply love and love well.

Until then, I hope you can carve out some time for a newfangled martini, a luxurious massage, and an hour of quiet contemplation about the wonder of the grace with which you have walked through such days. You are terrific.

Hugs and Love!