Monday, March 23, 2009

The Byrds (the Bees) and The Mamas & The Papas

The Byrds


The talented band at my church played The Byrds "Turn, Turn, Turn" yesterday. It was a great reminder to me so I thought I'd share the link from The Byrds performing the song here as well as the lyrics for what it's worth. I hope you do steal a moment to listen to it as I believe it's a timeless message to absorb.
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven
A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear its not too late

The Mamas and The Papas

I spend a lot of time in church crying. And I go alone. I am sure the people around me think I am a wreck. The tears are not sad ones ever. I am so genuinely moved and tuned in during that 90 minutes each Sunday. Not only do I think my pastor is very bright, insightful, and as genuine as they come, I love the music (really--they are clearly somewhat "hip" to play The Byrds during Sunday service), and experiencing the connections of people around me is so lovely. Seeing moms and daughters with their heads resting on each other's shoulders. All ages, too. Teens and their moms. Mothers in their 60' and and daughters in their 40's. Dads and their kids holding hands and dads with their arms slung over the back of their son's chairs. Beautiful.


Blessed
One of my favorite church songs is Blessed Be Your Name.
These lyrics permeated my soul yesterday- it's easy for me to be grateful in the good times. I need to remember to trust and roll with the flow of life in the dark times, too.
Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Finally, The Bees
Total tangent here---my 8 year old, Olivia, is really blossoming. Not just socially but physically (already). I've had to guide her through some of the physical feelings she is experiencing lately as her body grows, walk her down the deodorant aisle as she needs it now that she works out several hours a week at gymnastics sessions (I am so glad there are "safer" deodorants available nowadays for these developing bodies), and watch her as she so gently and skillfully took care of me the other afternoon. (I was sidelined with a migraine and had to take to my bed--she took care of Audrey, the dogs, and herself. Beautifully.)
Here is my special girl reading to our three year old class at Sunday School.




Here is a shot below of her little sis, Audrey, posing at the store the other day.

"Take a picture, mama. This will be for my album cover called, Faith of an Angel". ha! She posed a couple of times as you can see...





I hope to experience their heads on my shoulder and their hands in mine all the days of our lives.

0 comments: