Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ebb & Flow



























Eric is notorious for reminding me of life's ebb & flow. He counsels me through the ebbs ---from parenting, to my job, to relationships and on and on. He reminds me to take the good with the bad, to face the challenges head on, and to embrace them with the right spirit. He advises that as I ride the events out that I am vigilant and do not miss the boat on the lessons to be learned. Wow, not an easy feat for me. But as Eric says I choose how I move through this life.





























In addition to juggling summer camp plans, family travel plans, clients needs, kids issues, upcoming birthday parties, rescheduling parties, and just the usual game of life--


I lost a big account this week. I'd had it for years and now that my client left the new Director of Marketing eliminated all outside vendors who handle PR, marketing, and special events. On one hand it is a relief since I have not had a point person since her departure and I've been floundering and pestering other managers to try to get anything done. On the other hand, losing a coveted account hurts the pocketbook--and the ego.












I heard an interview yesterday where the person said, "I was joy drenched." I was so envious as I could not say the same.




In a quest to go with the flow and find the silver lining I've been taking Eric's advice to heart and thinking about the way I look at things. For starters--less workload may give me more time for impromptu tea parties





and school visits. Here is Audrey celebrating her fifth birthday a month early (before school lets out so she can enjoy a mini party with her school friends).






Here is Liv at her Living History Museum event as "Jackie Robinson" with her friends, "Pocahontas" and "Alice in Wonderland".











Perhaps I will "focus" more when I'm with the kids on their field trips (rather than checking my PDA). This picture was taken on a school trip to a local lighthouse with Olivia's class. Here is Liv love with her classmate Joel. They have a "crush" on each other and it really is a sight to watch them exchange glances across the classroom!








A bright spot to note--Olivia has been doing better with her behavior for the most part and continues to love gymnastics which keeps her active and entertained. She has been doing the local circuit with weekend appearances at area events. Here she is at a local festival before the event was cancelled due to the rain.









Audrey girl has been the challenge as of late. She seems to be either burned out as it's the end of the school year or just going through a phase of pushing the limits. She cried yesterday over her clothes, melted down today at church because she did not want to go to class and this afternoon she lost it over her hair. Yesterday I was on my game and managed well. Today---not so much. In fact, I walked into the church sanctuary (she won & came into the "big church" with me) and the worship director said, "I feel compelled to pray for parents right now. Often times we get caught up in, 'Why do I have to make dinner? Care for everyone in the household? Be the grown-up when I want to lose it like everyone else?' She went on--, "God wants us to lean on Him in the midst of the chaos as that 'WHY ME' frame of thinking can lead to bitterness and we can then lose the joy in the role we have as a parent." I held Audrey tighter in my lap (she was still crying) and I joined her. This is such a hard gig for me.




Yet I need to remember that advice as there are definitely dark times











but the sun always manages to shine again. If I pay attention long enough to bask in the glow I, too, can say I am joy drenched. Afterall as Eric so wisely reminds me-- it's a choice.






5 comments:

First Time Dad said...

You must have no idea how inspiring you really are. Having only seen you smile I actually finding it refreshing to have this private glimpse backstage into your real life.

I hope that you can keep you balance through the chop. Like the great explorers crossing the sea, don't worry about where you land, just follow the stars and trust in your instruments. You are an amazing mom and a remarkable PR Queen.

Katie said...

What a beautiful thing to write to me, thank you ever so much my friend! Inspiring--that is the last word I would use to describe myself--honest (frighteningly so) but inspiring? Am I ever flattered. Keep me posted on baby news and bless you three, k

McJuicemom said...

I'm sorry to hear about your account going away and of your struggles. But what I do know of you is somehow you create sunshine wherever you are.

What we know for sure is that things do change moment by moment and I hope that it's smoother sailing right now.

Feels like forever since we've talked and look forward to seeing you and the family at tap tomorrow.

Sending all my good thoughts. hugs,
R

Katie said...

R~ LOVED seeing you. I miss you so. Hoping we can do a family repeat the end of July. As for your gifts to me today~FLOWERS and a NORDY's card??--you are so generous. I thank you so much. I am so grateful for such wonderful friends and I'm so glad you're one of the best. ox, k

McJuicemom said...

You are SO welcome!!