Saturday, June 21, 2008

Journal Entry

At the end of each year I am thinking of printing out the posts I've written and putting copies in each of my girls memory boxes for a future read. As I've said before, Smilelines serves as my online journal of sorts. In today's post I am recapping life at Wilkinson Manor over the past few weeks. As is the case with all journal entries not everything written is interesting but instead offers a glimpse of days in the life...



























































WEATHER REPORT









For starters, the sun came out late the other evening just before it set for the night. It was a rare sight and oh, so welcome. I took this picture off of our deck as we were settling the girls into bed. Bedtime was much sweeter thanks to the sunbeams.






















































LADIES WHO LUNCH & WHY I CAN'T STAND MY SCALE









I popped into one of my client's restaurants the other day and grabbed lunch before our meeting. The Seattle waterfront setting with the ferry sailing by was idyllic. My lunch was so divine (fresh halibut, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, balsamic, polenta) that I snapped a picture. Clearly this is but one of the reasons I need to lose 10 pounds!



































BEERFEST, FATHER'S DAY 2008













For the eleventh year we hit the Beerfest over Father's Day weekend. It proved to be a relatively mellow event this year. The kids had a great time on the bounce houses and even the sun managed to shine. We were joined by fabulous friends. A sore back, intestinal bug, and general malaise proved that while Eric is a trooper he may be feeling his 40 years OR perhaps the same gig for 11 years is growing a tad tiresome.


























SEVEN MILE STARE













Our neighbor had a baby girl. We all enjoyed holding her the other evening and these pictures reminded me of when my girls were babies and would do the "seven mile stare" just before the fell asleep. Here they are doing it again each while holding the baby. How relaxed they both were. I recall my mom holding Olivia mere days after her birth and describing how peaceful she felt and how low her blood pressure was and what a joy it is to hold this beautiful new life full of promise---I think Olivia & Audrey would concur.






















SCHOOL'S OUT & LOOK OUT THIRD GRADE









Audrey got out the week before Liv. Here she is the first morning out enjoying her one hour per day of TV. The girls summertime nanny started this week. Lauren and Audrey spent the days at the park, Starbucks, playing Barbies, playdoh, and watercolors.








Olivia is over the moon about being a third grader now. Here she is leaving the mall the other day (the boots, the bag, my, how they grow!) She was on TV working the pottery wheel with a couple of my clients the other day. Apparently one of my clients heard her say as we entered the station, "Stars coming through..." !




HANGIN' WITH THE NEIGHBORS

I could not find Fribble the other evening anywhere. From my bathroom window I spotted him-in the neighbor's backyard. He greets Eric at the door each evening and then Eric lets him loose in the neighborhood to roam as he wishes (yes, it's against the law and yes, we have super neighbors who think of Frib as their own). He then goes to the neighbor's house around the corner and waits for the dad to come home. He will spend the next hour there as they prepare and eat dinner.























KICKING OFF SUMMER
Eric left for a "mancation"the other evening.




The girls and I spent yesterday at the beach and park before going for ice cream. May this summer prove to be a sunny, relaxing one for all --with Frib hangin' with the neighbors as much as his heart desires!


























































































5 comments:

fiona said...

What a lovely memory book this shall be - a window into their sweet lives as children through reading their mother's journal of their childhood adventures.

With both parents dead I now wish, as a parent myself, that I could ask the questions: "How did you find the parenting gig? Did you struggle, did you find it a breeze? Was I royal pain in the arse?" (as I'm sure I was!) What places did we go? Who did we see?"

I would have loved to have had a journal to look back and simply remember those carefree childhood days.

It will be such a treasured gift you will leave to your daughters long after you have gone. Such lucky gals to have you as their mum! (Even if it's in their forties before they realize it!)

Hugs
Carrie

Katie said...

Carrie, thank you for writing this note. I think of your parents loss more than you know as we discuss our days and lives. While I am separated from my parents by thousands of miles I have their voices and notes and gifts so often. I have no idea what it must be like to not have them physically present in your life any longer. They would love watching your kids grow and seeing you and Darren go through life together. I consider you all family myself. Love you, k

Juli Rose said...

Your life is a fairy tale. Traditional family outings, lunch with a view, great neighbors and friendly dogs, two beautiful girls, sunset views off your deck, soft sunrays at bedtime, a summertime nanny and trips to the beach. Your girls are so lucky they will each get a book of these special times and memories. What an amazing life you and Eric have provided for your family. May God continue to bless you in these simple ways that make life so good.

Katie said...

J, What a lovely thing to say (sincere thanks) and how far I am from being a wonderful queen. I love the life I have and sure wish I was better at handling the way I live so much of my days. May these sweet memories outweigh the tougher times when I am not on my game. Bless your heart for your thoughtful words. Be well, k

Kiwi said...

Katie -

I just love your "journal entries" and beautiful pictures documenting life, love, activities and busy celebrations. Keep 'em coming! xoxo Kiwi