Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mama Bear



"You're hovering. They're doing great~let's go." Carrie said to me last evening as we dropped the kids off at an overnight swim and gymnastics party at the local academy.






Audrey had been in a fabulous dance recital earlier in the day and did not get to bed until nearly midnite the night before since we went to dinner and hung out with friends.






Plus, neither of my girls swim much so they are not too experienced which was causing me some concern.






AND Audrey is still only 4 and the youngest camper (although she did attend the same swim/gymnastics overnighter last year at age 3 and lived to tell about it!)






The lack of sleep, lack of swimming skills, and the fact that Eric was out of town and I would be all alone in the house in the middle of the night apparently was causing me to "hover." Unnecessarily.






A relaxing time with a couple of girlfriends enjoying apps and yummy cocktails occupied several hours of the evening. It wasn't until 2 a.m. that I fell into bed and slept poorly for just 5 hours before pick-up.






My girls were still asleep when I arrived this morning. The camp counselor gave me the skinny on how the night went--Audrey cried after swimming as she wanted me and was starving. After the pizza party she got better until it was time for movies (midnight!) and she was upset again. Thankfully, she fell fast asleep just moments into Ratatouille but did wake crying in the middle of the night and required a soothing back pat to ease her back to sleep (I have already bought the Starbucks thank you card for that dear counselor!) Liv proudly announced that she watched BOTH movies and went to bed around 4 a.m. oof.






Clearly, naps were on the horizon. After shutting off the phones, locking Frib in our bedroom and allowing the girls to choose where they'd slumber they finally slept.






An hour later Liv was up and at 'em. With a clearer, more refreshed mind I asked her about the night- what her favorite part was (she won the hula hoop contest so that was top on her list) how all of her friends got along (some of them were growing tired and grumpy, she said. "But, I understand.")how the swimming went (I had to stay in the "safe" area and I wanted to go in the deep end.) So I asked her about lessons and if she wanted to spend more time at the pool learning to swim. "Mom, NO, I don't want to talk about it."






"Shall we grab lunch and then go out and paint rocks or play a game?" I asked her changing the subject.






"Mom, NO. Leave me alone."






I then heard Carrie's practical, honest truth she spoke to me the night before, "You're hovering".






So off I went to the kitchen to make lunch. Moments later Liv happily bound into the kitchen chatting me up about the great game of "Swim Fishy Swim" she'd played the night before. My little cub was out of hibernation once I backed off...one more parenthood lesson learned.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, my inspiration.
I totally have the thing for your girls.

I was a competitive swimmer and I was always told how great I was but I never REALLY learned how to swim until I was on a Synchronized swimming team. It was so much fun and right up your little diva's alley. Swim shows, make up, costumes, the works.
I'll see if my mom can dig up some of the photos. SO COOL.
http://www.seattlesynchro.com/
Here's one by you! I know. I know. In your "free" time.
smooch.

Katie said...

Lizzie girl~ How neat and fun to hear about your swimming days. I would LOVE to see photos. Audrey starts swim lessons today and is elated. I love hearing from you! oox, k