Monday, September 15, 2008

Gems

Here is Audrey this weekend decked out in some of my "real" and vintage jewels. She rummaged through my jewelry box and selected a few of her favorite pieces to wear.

I have a necklace with a locket that Eric gave me. The locket holds an apple seed and a bb inside it (Olivia was the size of an apple seed when I found out I was pregnant with her and Audrey the size of a bb). I let Audrey wear it. In a state of panic she ran through the screen door sobbing that she had lost it and how could I forgive her. Thankfully, she had not lost it (it was simply tucked underneath her dress and hidden behind another necklace).

How thoughtful she was with something I really value. As I held her I explained how far more precious she is than jewelry. I told her that even if she had lost it while I would be sad it would not be so awful afterall. "How about I take it off anyway?," she asked. I unclasped that necklace in a heartbeat!

We were out with friends a couple of nights this weekend (visitors and birthday celebrations- great fun!) and so on Saturday night we came home to find letters from Liv on the kitchen table.

She wrote to me that she'd been wishing on a star that I'd come home safely. She also wrote, When I am your age I'm going to do exactly what you do. (yikes) ;)

She went on, I want to be like you. I hope I will say "I am proud for being me" just like you should do, Mama.

With Olivia's eloquence, Audrey's honesty, and both their genuine spirits I am proud indeed-- of them.



2 comments:

McJuicemom said...

Whiloe I could wish that my kids were liek yours (so grown up in so many ways and caring and thoughtful and really quite special) I actually wish I was like them. And you should be proud of you, like Liv said - it's your influence that gives them the courage, the wisdom and the words to show what great human beings they truly are. Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us:)
Hugs, R

Katie said...

Thank you, Rebecca. You do have wonderful little people you created as well. I agree, I try to be more like my kids each day. Can't wait to see you next week. k