Friday, September 5, 2008

Stereotyped


I am so fired up AGAINST Sarah Palin that I am having a hard time seeing straight. Regardless of how articulate and attractive she is I thought her speech at the Republican National Convention was snide, sarcastic, and hypocritical. She completely offended me.

Let me say--I enjoy watching The Daily Show and Bill Maher and many sarcastic commentators but here's the thing---I know what I am getting when I listen to them.
Sarah Palin claims to be a devout Christian (which to me means working hard at NOT passing judgement or demeaning, belittling, or condemning others). Appeared to me she did all of those things in regards to Barack Obama. Truth be told I struggle with trying not to judge others daily (and fail at it a lot) but this is not about me--and I am not running for VP on a platform of how Godly I am.

The morning after her speech I went to a TV shoot with a client. The producer asked me if I was proud to see a woman like her on stage. "Not at all," I quickly snapped---offended at the insinuation that I would be. He was shocked (and pleased, I might add) but nonetheless, shocked. "You're a strong woman, have your own business, the kids, the husband, the whole nine yards---AND you're quite religious, aren't you?"

I told him Yes to all (not sure about "religious" but have no qualms about professing my faith in God). My client chimed in, "You don't love her? I thought she was great--she is the hockey mom, she's confident and bold; she's the whole package and very real--like you." I felt sick. Seriously.


Upon further research of her beliefs I found information about her former pastor, Rev. Ed Kalnins (she attended his church since the age of 12 and left a few years ago perhaps upon entering the Governor's mansion?? She did visit the church just this past June, however, to deliver a speech). Below is apparently some of what he preached from the pulpit (there was a link to his recorded sermons where these quotes were pulled from which would serve as better proof but they've been conveniently taken down since Sept. 3). Strategic move on the Republicans part? I would think yes.

During the 2004 election season, Kalnins praised President Bush's performance during a debate with Sen. John Kerry, then offered a not-so-subtle message about his personal candidate preferences. "I'm not going tell you who to vote for, but if you vote for this particular person, I question your salvation. I'm sorry."

Months after hinting at possible damnation for Kerry supporters, Kalnins bristled at the treatment President Bush was receiving over the federal government's handling of Hurricane Katrina. "I hate criticisms towards the President," he said, "because it's like criticisms towards the pastor -- it's almost like, it's not going to get you anywhere, you know, except for hell. That's what it'll get you."

Sarah Palin is a working woman, has a special needs child, has a son headed to war within days and a teenage daugher with a baby on the way. God bless her. And her children. I hope they find support and peace as they go about their days. My gut and my God tell me that wanting the best for them is the right thing to do.

I fear if the roles were reversed and my daughters (or Barack and Michelle Obama's daughters) were pregnant Sarah and her supporters would stand in judgement. I can hear James Dobson and his Focus on the Family rhetoric now if this happened to a Democratic candidate's family.
Reports show that earlier this year Governor Palin slashed funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live and during her governorship she slashed funding for schools for special needs kids by 62%. Will her mindset change now that it's hit close to home?

The God I believe in wants us to love and comfort all people not just our own loved ones. The God I believe in wants us to care for the less fortunate and troubled around the globe. I know it's not politically correct to say whether Jesus was a Republican or a Democrat but it seems to me like he and I would pull the same lever come this November.

4 comments:

fiona said...

OUCH!

I think I might have slapped them. Stereotype much?

I saw the Palin Convention speech and re-read the transcript. There's a quaint ol' English expression: "bollocks" and I think that sums up her speech nicely. And frankly it's not hard to read a speech written for you by someone else.

The true test of her selection as VP is when she'll have to speak off the cuff and unrehearsed, which as history has shown, highlights those candidates who are inept and frankly ignorant (though that aspect never stopped the current incumbent at The White House!)

Good post my friend!

Anonymous said...

wow! all i can say is that you are awesome. i miss you! :)

Katie said...

Good to hear from you, JP! Thank you for the note...I would love to hear how you're doing, what's new, and more...k

Katie said...

I must set the record straight--appears the news of slashing costs for special needs funding was FALSE. So while I do not want to perpetuate incorrect reports I do stand by my initial impression of Sarah "Baracuda". That's the news for now...k