Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sick Day


Driving to a media lunch today I was struck with the dreaded "aura effect" I get before a migraine attack. Loss of vision, numbness in my tongue and left arm caused me to immediately cancel my appointments and pull off the freeway into a parking lot for an hour until I could see again and drive home to bed.

Hours later the splitting headache over my right eye subsided to a dull ache and I was able to crawl out from under the covers, even do some work, and tuck the kids in. This was Audrey's bedtime prayer, "Thank you, God, for making Mama feel better tonite. Thank you for the grass that grows, flowers that bloom and get bigger and for sending angels to watch over mama and keep her calm and know that you were with her when she was so sick. Thank you for the good news that Papa Frank is all healthy again and thank you for making the dr's. news an early birthday present for Meme from you." With tears in my eyes, a heart filled with love and pride, and a soul full of thanks to God I went to say goodnight to Olivia.

"Please lay down, Mama, I have wanted to give you a massage all evening," she said. I slid in next to her and her touch was so soft and gentle for a usually bustling and energetic girl. Lovely...

Earlier in the day when I texted Eric to tell him I was out of commission he contacted Carrie who swung into action --picking up my girls from school, treating them to ice cream cones, and watching them all afternoon (while she did work for k PR as well!). Eric brought dinner home, the director I was to have lunch with sent well wishes via email and my client whom I canceled a meeting with called to check in.

Yes, God, like Audrey said--thank you for sending angels to care for me.

3 comments:

McJuicemom said...

So sorry to hear you were stricken with such a miserable migraine. I've never experienced them so can't know what it must feel like, but hope you feel better! You do have angels about you - Bless them:) Hugs,
R

Anonymous said...

Horrible.. horrible!

I can't imagine anything worse than being left so vunerable on a freeway of all places. Glad you got home safe and sound...

Carrie

Katie said...

Thank you both for your kind words. All is better. It is so scary but I am grateful it passes...until next time. ox, k