Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Frenetic Fall

What a whirlwind autumn it has been here at stately Wilkinson Manor. The start of school, several family birthdays, a trip for me and the girls, one for Eric, client activities too numerous to recall, Halloween parties, dr. appointments, church volunteering, and kids school conferences--just to name some of the events.

There have been many highs and lows and I can bet I have not been the easiest person to dwell with here in this castle of ours.

School Days



Audrey had a glowing teacher conference report and also some thoughtful teacher feedback. "Off the charts" was what her seasoned teacher (he's taught for 24 years) reported about her. "If only she could be more confident," he quickly added.
If only he could have been in the car that afternoon...
"Mama, I am not sure if I am going to be a doctor for the needies when I grow up or a supermodel in Paris."

Olivia's school conference report was status quo. "Academically there is not a single negative issue to report. Yet socially she thinks she's my peer in many ways. She would rather chat with me or simply talk whenever she'd like regardless if I am teaching a lesson or not. It's not that she's disrespectful it's that she doesn't understand there are rules that apply to all of the children in class--including her." Was there a tape recorder playing nearby? Eric and I have gotten this same report nearly verbatim since Olivia started pre-school at age three.

Upon chatting with Liv that night I mentioned some examples the teacher gave, "She says if you don't like something you sort of roll your eyes. She said you weren't sassy just that you aren't real concerned when she's upset with you."

"She's an eye roller, too. It's what we do." Liv nonchalantly replied. Clearly I was not getting through.

When I mentioned the comment to the teacher the next day she said Olivia was being truthful.

According to Liv they chatted in the hall that afternoon and both agreed to work on the eye rolling...Truth be told Eric and I have had several heart to hearts with Olivia about adult respect the past few weeks and the teacher sends home daily reports now. No blurting and no eye rolling for weeks- woo hoo!
Halloween


Sorting the goods!

All the loot!

Dear friends had their annual Halloween bash/son's birthday party.

As in year's past Eric horrified the crowd (and mainly our girls) with his costume. This year he went as a "real Alaska hockey mom"



Olivia was a rock star who spent the night on the dance floorAudrey was Alice in Wonderland. Audrey appeared on some morning TV shows with one of my clients a couple of times regarding safe Halloween costumes! Here she was en route to one very early morning segment.

I dressed Frib as a Flapper when we went out trick or treating this year.

He was less than pleased.
Yesterday was his revenge. He destroyed a brand new bedspread of Olivia's (for those keeping track at home he has ruined at least 8-10 quilts in the 9 years we've had him).

Would you believe the wonderful salesclerk at Target took it back? I wonder if she was so shocked that I actually went in and asked. I told her upfront what happened and she took pity on me. Target rocks! Frib does not.

Turn the Page

I am looking forward to penning the next chapter about calmer days in the month ahead.

One where Audrey girl can work some on gaining more of a voice for Teacher Bill...

Liv love can continue to silence hers a bit more for Miss Moe

and Fribble can take a page out of Princess Alice's story and simply go with the flow.

What a fairytale it will be.

0 comments: