Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Cup Runneth Over


What a wonderful day. It was quite ordinary which made it ideal. The kids were fantastic after school as we ran about town. They got haircuts and we hit the grocery store--and, of course, the requisite drive through Starbucks (surely I am not wising up about the economy as we sip our raspberry cocoas!). The girls enjoyed making their own pizza and the three of us spent a peaceful and lovely evening together while dear Eric unfortunately had a grueling day at work. I was genuinely content. Drama and guilt free. Bliss.



After reading to Audrey I lay in her bed with my arms around her as I do each night and she told me she had three songs she wanted to sing to me. She crooned "Baa Baa Black Sheep", "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and then she belted out "Happy Birthday" (39 tomorrow!) My heart smiled.



She asked if she could stay home with me on my special day or if I could find a way to become her teacher for the day. "Just you and me. You teach and I will learn." (imagine that horror flick starring me as a home schooling mama?--yikes) She then went on to name her favorite teachers.



"If you taught you'd be my first then Miss Talona, Miss Corky, Mr. Bill... Actually you'd have to be second. God is my first teacher. I learn the most from Him."



Me too, girl.



My thoughts went back to reveling in how wonderful it feels to hug and hold her. I love her skin, hearing her breathe, her heart beating against mine as we lay in the dark. I crave being next to Olivia and Audrey when I am apart from them. There are times I literally ache to be near them. I love that feeling.



Moments later in Liv's room she asked if she could put on a show for me. "Not much time, hot stuff," I told her. "But show me what you've got."



"Five, Six, Seven, Eight! OMG have you seen my mom? She totally rocks. I am the luckiest kid on the block," and she danced about the room.



There I sat--- drinking it in.



And then I vowed to remind myself daily I have more than enough for my needs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! You don't look a day over 19. :)

Katie said...

ox

McJuicemom said...

Happy belated and sounds like you had a wonderful birthday. You deserve it.
Hugs,
R