Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Victory

My presidential candidate won the presidency tonite. I am elated. Our Obama logo pumpkin is lit and my girls (and girl dog) are all wearing medals to celebrate.
It's been a long eight years.


I think my Olivia best illustrates how today feels to many.

It's been a banner day for her. Her third grade teacher, Miss Moe, announced at the end of the school day that she "did awesome". Her 8: 20 a.m. choir teacher and 3:30 piano teacher, Mrs. Bell, said, "she's really getting there and is very gifted". Her gymnastics coach, Randy, granted her the most stamps out of eleven gymnasts tonite (24 in total) and named her the the only Otter Pop recipient. So when I announced to her at the end of gymnastics class that Barack Obama was named the President of the United States Olivia declared today the greatest day of her life.
It surely is a probably the fourth greatest of mine. The birth of Liv, Audrey, and my marriage to Eric top it but today is monumental indeed.

Audrey and I took a walk tonite as the election results rolled in and Olivia tumbled at gymnastics. Audrey looked up at the brilliant sky filled with stars and said, "I think it spells Barack". Seriously.

Later in the evening Olivia heard him give his acceptance speech and announced, "He should be a pastor." Amen, sister.

Let me first say three Obama-rama cocktails created by my client, The Pink Door, and served by beloved friend, Darren, have made tonite even more brilliant (thank you, dear, dear D!)



Audrey and I danced as the results poured in.







Even Frib won my affections (which is HUGE after he ruined Liv's bedding yesterday if you recall from an earlier post).



Yet as soon as the presidency was announced (and before the Obama-ramas were poured) I played this song for my girls "I Hope" by Dixie Chicks. Lyrics below, song here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6PK0hOuNs

Later on this evening and admittedly way past bedtime I sent them off to bed with my Itunes blaring and the song "I Hope" playing once again. Audrey drifted off to sleep and Olivia lay calculating when she could vote. "In just ten years, Mama, I can vote. I can't wait."

I Hope Lyrics by Dixie Chicks

Sunday morning, I heard the preacher say

Thou shall not kill

I don't wanna, hear nothin' else, about killin'

And that it's God's willCuz our children are watching us

They put their trust in us

They're gonna be like us

So let's learn from our history

And do it differently

CHORUS:I hope

For love, joy and laughter

I hope

We'll have more than we'll ever need

I hope

We'll have more happy ever afters

I hope

We can all live more fearlessly

And we can lose all the pain and misery

I hope, I hope

Oh Rosie, her man he gets too rough

And all she can say, is he's a good man

He don't mean no harm

He was just brought up that way

But our children are watching us

They put their trust in us

They're gonna be like us

It's okay for us to disagree

We can work it out lovingly

For I hope

For love, joy and laughter

I hope

You'll have more than you'll ever need

I hope

You'll have more happy ever afters

I hope

And you can all live more fearlessly

And you can lose all your pain and misery

I hope, I hope

There must be a way to change what's going on

No, I don't have all the answers, butI hope

For more love, more joy and laughter

I hopeyou'll have more than you'll ever need

I hope

There'll be more happy ever afters

I hope

We can all live more fearlessly

And we can lose all the pain and misery, we can lose all the pain and misery

I hope, I hope

3 comments:

fiona said...

And yes, sweet Olivia.. Miss Carrie is going to make sure in 2012 she'll be a citizen and she'll vote on your behalf for President Obama!

Dear Katie - how good does HOPE feel??

GREAT!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful evening...

xoxo

Katie said...

Still basking!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Dixie Chicks documentary? It covers the time period following the backlash of there comments about Bush and the Iraq war. It's fascinating. And here's a good/ funny video. It's Obama Spoof. Great video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-yJBsjatW0