Monday, November 24, 2008

Burned

We woke up on Sunday morning to a furnace that wouldn't function. Troubleshooting on our own, calls to local repair companies and assistance from the neighbors led us to call a technician out today.

We spent the day yesterday out of the house and were treated to dinner at a friend's home to stay warm. Made the kids HOT cocoa for breakfast, warmed their school clothes in the dryer before they put them on this morning and then they dressed in front of the toasty fireplace.

We were getting along just fine.

The repair guy was just here.

I stood over the technician's shoulder as he worked and since it looked so darn simple I grilled him on whether or not I could have just gotten the part and done it myself. He came up with some very lame reasons on why a hired professional is best. What's he supposed to say?!

In an effort to make myself feel better I asked him, "So is this under warranty?"

"Of course," he happily replied. "For forty five days." What a joke.

$381 later the furnace is in full swing. I just looked up the price for the part online and it would have cost about $30 and I think it's a snap to replace.

Last night after Eric and I tucked the girls in under layers of blankets we then climbed under several quilts on our bed. Eric commented on how nice it felt and how much money we'd save if we went heat-less more often.

I hope he was serious. Now that I have $381 to make up for Wilkinson Manor will certainly be a bit chiller this winter season.

2 comments:

Juli Rose said...

Mara called me frantic one evening. Brian was out with my husband and she couldn't reach him. She was at home with one of her new born boys and the furnace had stopped working. I could hear the frustration and panic in her voice as she and baby began to freeze. "Have you checked the battery on the thermostat?" I asked. Sure enough two AA's later, her home was warm for 48 cents. She was so thankful! ...the previous year, I had called a professional out to change my batteries! GRRR I feel your pain girl!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh- I needed you the other day. Note to self- call Juli when the heating system goes...