Sunday, December 9, 2007

Experiencing God

The stockings are hung.











The lights are up. And we've been blessed with snow already in the pacific northwest.











Even the playroom is decorated this year.











And thankfully the elves have remembered to visit nightly.











Yet in the midst of it all Eric said it doesn't feel like Christmas to him. "Does it to you," he asked?











As I was thinking he went on, "Maybe it's because we're not near family."











And then I thought some more.





"Maybe it's because we're not paying attention," I said.











So I've started to. And I've found Christmas and more importantly, God-- is everywhere.











Liv, Audrey and I were walking the dogs the other night and checking out the neighborhood lights. Audrey asked it I thought our neighbor Gloria would mind if she went on her lawn to get





closer to the Nativity she has on display. "Not at all," I replied.











So she crept closer intently studying the scene. "I see the shepherd but where is his staff?" she asked.











"Oh, there it is." she said spotting it. "You know the candy cane represents the staff, Mama?" Nope. No clue.











The other day we were in the produce section at the market and Audrey said she'd be my "gatherer." So she "gathered" a bag of carrots, an onion, a bunch of bananas and then came proudly bounding down the aisle carrying a poinsettia. "We need this too, Mom." "No. We're all set I told her."











"Well, can I at least tell you the story of the poinsettia?" she asked. And then she proceeded to tell me about a little girl whose mom was sick and couldn't go to church on Christmas Eve like they do each year. But the little girl went instead and she presented some wheat at the altar and then bowed her head to pray for her mother. After praying she opened her eyes and found the wheat had been transformed into a beautiful poinsettia plant. "It was a miracle in Mexico, Mama." Audrey said.











Yesterday we boarded the Santa train for our annual pilgrimage into the mountains. They presented their wish lists to Santa and after asking for cotton candy perfume Santa reached into a big red bag and pulled out cotton.candy.perfume. And sprayed it on the girls! No joke! You can bet the girls experienced their own Christmas miracle. So did Eric and I.











On the way back on the train the girls giggled and played with dear friends Trevor and Tyler. You can see God was surely in that train car.











This morning Olivia sang in the children's choir at church. She was so happy. So proud. And clearly experiencing Christmas.











After Eric made a joke at bedtime Audrey said to me, "He cracks me up. Good job choosing him."











She then kissed my forehead and said, "A kiss is a little bit of magic, Mama." Yes, it is Audrey. And a lot of God. Thanks for giving me so many reasons to pay attention.

4 comments:

fiona said...

Beautiful post K

I have to agree, some years Christmas doesn't 'feel' like Christmas and I suppose for me, it was because all my Holiday traditions and rituals were steeped in my old life in London and the family I once had there.

Ten years on, I'm still seeking those traditions at Christmas time, which thankfully the kids manage to create each and every year.

Thanks for reminding me to 'pay attention' and look for those uniquely special moments in my own children's faces. It those moments I need to treasure....

xo

Kiwi said...

Katie -
As always your message and pictures make me smile. I love that your blog makes me think...about slowing down and really ENJOYING everything that is our lives, especially from the eyes of our children. Whether it is Christmas, ballet class, singing a song, airplanes in the sky...whatever it may be - taking the time to stop, listen, experience and smile is what's really important. Now, can you come over and decorate MY house for the holidays? xoxo

Anonymous said...

I agree with the girls above! Thank you K for sharing your special family stories…they always bring a smile to my face! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Hugs.

Katie said...

Thank you all for being so dear and for reading, sharing, and experiencing it all along with me. k