Monday, November 26, 2007

Ear drops, a gingerbread man, and finding value

Olivia is sick. Sick with excruciating ear pain. Sick with the kind of pain that makes her writhe, scream ouright, and simply sob. And she is one tough kid.

Poor Liv has always battled earaches. We finally had ear tubes put in when she was 4. She thought surgery was brilliant. Really. Here she is going in...



And here she is coming out. A bit groggy but enjoying a cherry popsicle in the recovery room. Trooper is an understatement.

But, when she is sick...she is sick. And when she is sick she needs me. And when she needs me I am there. And it makes me feel so good.

Here she is at age 2 at our family reunion in Hilton Head Island. This trip was complete with 3 trips to the walk-in clinic and an ER visit. Nothing worked to make that babe healthy.


Here she is at age 4 the day we were to fly to Disneyworld. Couldn't stop vomiting. We postponed the trip.

Here she is at the at age 5 on Hallloween. Beautiful, sick snow angel.

I'll spare you the image of her so very ill last Christmas at age 6. Couldn't open a gift, poor dear.

Here she is tonite. Finally asleep with a heated gingerbread man wrapped in a towel resting on her ear.

After using the blow dryer pointed at her ear (in hopes to open up the blocked canal) and dropping in some holistic ear drops she sleeps. Just as I was leaving her side she said, "one more minute, mama."

"Of course," I replied and nestled back in under her quilt.

I gave her 20 more in fact --enough time to know she was fast asleep. I hope she knows I'd give her forever if she needed it.

p.s. I left Liv's room and climbed under the covers with Audrey and she beamed at me and wrapped her arms around my neck.
She held Olivia's hand this afternoon when Liv took some Children's Motrin Cold. She rubbed Olivia's back as we waited at the pharmacy. She asked her if she could sing her a song in the car. So we said our prayers and then I told her that she was a "sweet, sweet sister." And she said, "And you're a good, good mom." I think we will all sleep well tonite.

7 comments:

Kiwi said...

Ohhhh - I knew she was sick! But...somehow you make everything, even misery - BEAUTIFUL.

I almost cried when I read this post...you love your girls soooo much and they are very blessed to have such a thoughtful, grateful, "in the moment" mommy.

xoxo K

Katie said...

Thank you. Wow, feels so good to hear and I am so bad at mamahood much of the time so I do revel in the moments when it feels right. I appreciate your friendship. k

Jaime Webber said...

Poor Olivia... :( We are well, but I can feel her pain. Nothin like a mama to make it all better. K, you're doin a great job being a nurse so don't ever forget that.I'll send some klenex your way~ Jj

Katie said...

Jj,
Bless you, too. Thank you for being such a great friend. I will call you in a bit to hear great things! ;)
k

Sarah said...

Oh, poor little angel!! Once again, your post has brought tears to my eyes and given me the goosebumps. I love reading this blog. It's therapeutic.

Sarah

Katie said...

Thank you, Sarah. I love that I have so many wonderful people in my life that care to share with me.
k

The Student said...

Yep. Crying.
auhh! We should all have our mommies handy like that!