Sunday, November 4, 2007

Nearing 38...

I'll be 38 in 9 days. Getting older has never phased me. Until now. I just went to my 20th high school reunion after months of waffling. It wasn't my age that was the detterent. It was my butt. And thighs. And many other places that didn't used to look like this.

But then my parents came to town. It was late summer and they were here for their usual month long visit. Which truly is never long enough. I am blessed with the world's greatest parents and Eric would tell you he is blessed with the world's greatest inlaws. Really.

Back to the reunion, vanity, and my parents. So here I was on the fence with the reunion trip. But then I put on a fashion show. Some of my garb was "fancy"--old bridesmaid gowns, dresses I wore to various holiday gatherings, the cocktail dress I wore to our engagement party. And then I put on my Friendly's waitress uniform from when I was 18. And it fit. And I looked good. Polyester cling and all. And my parents said I had nothing to worry about. I booked the flight. And it was one of the best weekends of my life.

I was mostly pleased that I would not have to explain to my kids that I was too vain to not attend my 20th reunion. Same reason I don't think I'll ever invest in fake boobs. I don't want my girls to ever think what God gave them isn't enough. Even though I know and they will learn--it isn't. But I don't want to be the messenger so I will continue to jack up what little I've got and envy my friends who are sporting perky new breasts.

OK, here's why getting old is starting to phase me. Smile lines. I've got them and they're deep. Before they got so deep and before I got near 40 I used to pass them off as a window into my disposition. I am happy. I am a smiler. I love to laugh. Giant belly laughs.

I forwarded the shutterfly slide show from my reunion to anyone I thought would care. And they all told me how old we all looked. Oh, not all of us. Everyone but me. Really. This is clearly why I love all those people and why I chose them to send the pics to. But, I am not naive either. Clearly just loved by great people. So there you have it. Smile lines and a birthday around the bend and I officially feel old. Yet in the same way I bucked up and hit the reunion and continue to boost my small bosom all in the name of authenticity for my children, I will do the same with my attitude toward my age..celebrate it for what it is. Here's to smile lines and enjoying the anniversary of my 38th year of life!

5 comments:

fiona said...

I think the hardest part of reunions is the expectation we have of our former classmates. We publicly declare that we are thrilled for the fat girl who lost a ton of weight or the computer geek who discovered Microsoft! Yet in truth, we hope so long as they're *NOT* slimmer, richer, _______ (fill in the blank!) than us!!!!

Oh and for what it's worth, I've never gone to one of my High School Reunions since my 10th one and the organizer contacted my so 'sweet' mother, who sarcastically declared that: "Oh the former 'Head Girl' is barefoot, pregnant, unemployed and living with a has-been rock star in Scotland!"

Gee thanks mom! Bet that direct quote look just great on the wall of memories at the Event! ;-)

Great blog btw!

Katie said...

Dear Carrie- Lovely words from your mum, 'eh?. Thanks for the note and for the read. I enjoy YOUR blog, sister! If someone can teach me how to link to blogs I love then let me know and I will link you up! ox k

Anonymous said...

Oh dear friend... you truly have a gift. Your writing is so witty, full of life and vivid that it makes me want to enroll in an english class at the local CC and just soak it all in! I am jealous but so greatfull you are doing this blog. I have always wanted to do one & I think for now I will just sit back & enjoy your life. It is a joy to feel like I know what is going on daily with you & your family. (Even though I know it may be months before we see each other again.) Thank you for inspiring us moms who do too much or too little depending on how you see it. All I know is that you are a great mom, wife and friend to all. Love the blog~ Jaime Jaim

Katie said...

Love you, JJ and thank you. Dear, dear words...k

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie,
Thank you so much for sharing! I've enjoyed each line, each story; you are so gifted! While I was reading I felt like I transported myself to your house to learn more about your lives... The pictures are great! May God continue to bless your precious family. Thank you for being such great neighbors. :-) Gloria Rizo