Monday, November 12, 2007

What About Papa?

After reading some excerpts from my postings about the girls to little Audrey she inquired, "What about Papa?"













"He might be sad that you didn't write about all the reasons you love him." She continued. So I told her.






I told her how he was not like any one I've ever met. I told her how how he looked the day he told me he loved me...seven days after we started dating!








I told her how he makes life fun.



And fulfilling.







I told her he makes me want to bound out of bed each morning. And how wonderful he is for happily rushing home to us each day...

And that because of him we sleep soundly each night.


I told her how he is the most loyal person I know. How no one else makes me laugh as hard. How he makes sure there is a dry towel hanging outside the shower for when I get out. How he buys me my own stash of Reese's peanut butter cups on Halloween (knowing that I would otherwise swipe the girls candy). How he makes me tea (in the cups he had her and Olivia paint) when I am working late into the night.

I told her how he sent the Michigan State marching band the music to "our song" Fly Me to the Moon and had them play it for me and then he proposed (he was allegedly in Belize working on a story and showed up and surprised me).

I told her how he booked the Old North Church in Boston (the church I'd dreamed to be married in since I was a little girl) for our wedding (and he did it an entire year before he even proposed)!





I told her how he buys me mead on our anniversaries because it's the drink of the honeymooners and we first drank it in a castle on our honeymoon in Ireland. I told her that he even serves it to me in the pottery mugs that he "obtained" from the castle.








I told her how he has surprised me on so many birthdays and anniversaries with trips (New Orleans, Disney, Boston, San Francisco, etc.)






And how he has treated me to dozens and dozens of surprise plays and concerts (Death Cab for Cutie, Counting Crows, Steely Dan, Five for Fighting, and on & on).




I told her how he planned my 35th b.day as a bowling & karaoke party with all my friends (and how for years he'd vowed to never wear rented bowling shoes ---but he did. Just for me).



I told her he how even "obtained" a pin for me to bring home.




I told her how he once used Fribble the dog as a messenger to deliver a ring I'd longed for.









And how even though it was just our 10th wedding anniversary in Oct. he insists the 6 years of dating count as well so he bought me a tin tea kettle from Ireland where we'd honeymooned(aluminum is apparently the gift of year 16).




I told her how when we went on an Alaskan cruise we blended wines and named mine "k Syrah" since syrahs are my favorite. And then this year on our anniversary he gave me a bottle of actual K Syrah wine he'd found.


I told her how he packed me a picnic filled with my favorite foods (cheetos, snickers, baguette and extra sharp cheddar) and we ate it next to the seals (my fav animal) at the New England Aquarium. I told her what it was like the first time I saw him on TV in 1991 reporting from some hippiefest in Amherst, Mass. How he was tan and young wearing a tye dye t-shirt. I told her how I used to set my alarm clock to 7 a.m. and listen to the stories he'd file on WFCR (NPR). I told her how he cries at movies and commericals (Disney and Hallmark even ;). And when our dear friends and neighbors move away...oh, the puffy eyes...










I told her how he loves teaching them new things.










And how he can seem so strict but he's doing it to make them stronger. And smarter.














And more responsible.

And to eventually help them soar.















I told her how he swore letting them sleep in a treehouse 50 feet off the ground was a truly awesome idea.











And how when he plays his guitar I fall in love with him all over again. I told her how much I love that he teaches them all about music.



And about the time he wrote a song just for me. And a story for me, too. And how he did it after they were born and money was tight and how they were the best presents he's ever surprised me with. I told her that I love that he uses a conch shell to call the girls home. And to celebrate major Red Sox and Michigan State wins.I told her that I loved that he created the "potty bell" and let them ring it when they mastered going potty. I told her how good he is to his mother. And mine.











I told her how madly he loves all his girls.















Her. And Liv.


















And me.














So, there is but a glimspe of what Papa is, I said to Audrey. He is a prince. The kind that is made especially for someone. The kind that comes around once in a lifetime. The kind you dream will pick you.













And then I told her that one day I hope she can live such a fairy tale.


































































8 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow Katie -- what a post! I have tears in my eyes. Loved every line!

Katie said...

Bless you for your note. I have such respect for you and appreciate your thoughts. Hope you and your boys are well..k

fiona said...

Let's see..

your own stash of Reese's peanut butter cups..?

Surprise tickets for gigs like Death Cab for Cutie, Counting Crows, Steely Dan, Five for Fighting and others...?

Not to mention inventing a "potty bell..."


It's official! This man is a KING among men (no make that HUSBANDS!) Albeit a raving Kleptomaniac too!

No, seriously, this was beautifully written and such a fitting tribute to your sweet guy! I was quite choked (but not as 'choked' as Darren was, because in the year since I've been writing a blog, I've yet to mention him other than in passing...!)

Heck he's got some catching up to do though..

;-)

Keep writing! You're such a star!

Katie said...

Dear sweet Carrie, You are the star. Thanks for your note! So glad you are just steps away...
k

The Mid-Life Crazy Man said...

Hey... I might have to steal him and marry him myself! :-)

And he is... a great person.

So glad we're neighbors.

Katie said...

Thank you, D! Too funny. Loved Jewel's blog, too! k

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm sobbing now sitting at my computer at work. You two are so blessed to have each other. I am not surprised he is the amazing husband that you describe him to be!

~Mimi

Katie said...

What kind things to say. We are very fortunate indeed. I am sure you will give Sophia a similar glimpse at life happily married. Hope all is well with you...k