Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Joy, Smiles, Cinderella, Death, & Sleeping Soundly

I was thinking of blogging about a crazy tantrum filled night with Liv last night and all the good and bad that came after it. I also thought about delving into God, oneness, Jesus, Islam, a buddha statue that's been on my mind, a spiritual adviser I ran into at the library, how the book "When Fear Falls Away" greatly impacted me and more but maybe I will do that another time. For now, I have my head on music (and my focus needs to be on work but I'll take a quick escape for a time).



I love music. All sorts of music. I am certainly not known for my taste in music and I do not spend any time surfing the Internet for new songs or shopping on iTunes (I've had a gift card since last Christmas from Eric yet to be used!). I forget to turn my sassy hot pink i-pod mini (again, thanks to Eric!) on most days and yet music conjures up so much in me and makes me think of others and count blessings and relaxes me and oh, so much more. Here are a few songs that came top of mind today....



You are my Joy by Reindeer Section (been out for a couple of years--still a fave). Eric (who is totally into music, does spend hours surfing the Internet for new songs/artists, spends far too much $ on iTunes and would never be caught dead without his iPod) played it for me one evening while I was making dinner and said, "Kate, this is for you." No wonder it's my favorite.



(not a fan of the video here but I was trying to find a way to have the lyrics heard and came across this video)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6PreldwXw



Smile, Smile, Smile by Dan Zanes.

Disney radio plays this song most mornings around 9 a.m. as I am dropping the girls off at school.



"I know what I'll do when I see you again I'm gonna smile, smile, smile." Makes the drop off so bittersweet.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUZOCzAav4



"And your big heart circles the world every time you smile". Lovely.




Love Death Cab for Cutie. Already chosen "I'll Follow You into the Dark" to play at my funeral. Nice, I know. I have a whole set of songs I want played. Never did document them in ink. Hopefully Eric will remember...that was during my morbid stage. clearly. But really, what great lyrics, "If heaven and hell decide that they both are satisified illuminate the NO's on their vacancy signs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6rhQS0qCGs



Then there's the Dixie Chicks. Strong, smart, savvy mamas. I could not get enough of, "Not Ready to Make Nice" when their "Taking the Long Way" cd came out a few years back.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwc5YSAc-7g


"Made my bed and I sleep like a baby". Another great line and something I do strive for. Doing the right thing and sleeping soundly because of it. Amen to that! Would love to hear some of your faves or what's playing in your head lately!

4 comments:

KarenK said...

Hey k~
You are certainly one hip mama when it comes to the tunes. Since RTR's birth I've done a lot more singing-- mostly lullabies but also silly songs too. Currently in heavy rotation is a variation of "I See the Moon". Also check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU
for this hysterical song I've heard on KEXP in the mornings.

Anonymous said...

LOVE flight of the conchords on hbo. My fav song they do is the one my kids sing to me. "most beautiful girl in the...room" see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDTSQtK20c&feature=related.

Anonymous said...

I've never been big into music, but I loved "You are my joy." Never heard it until now. And that video I thought was adorable! It almost made me cry! OK, you got me smack in the middle of a PMS moment...

Katie said...

Love these comments- thanks! KK, Eric has this song on our computer and it's a hoot. We've been listening to it for a couple years now and he still plays it if ever we're chatting with friends about "the deed". It's business time! What a hoot.