Monday, February 18, 2008

Letting Go

I let Audrey ride TWO cheesy department store rides today.









I hung out at the park with the kids. For two days.





I read a magazine there--guilt free, drank pink lemonade, ignored my folder full of paperwork, and chatted with the kids.









I pushed Audrey on her bike loads of times. The past two days.







And I was not antsy. Or pissy. Or guilt ridden. About work. About the things that needed to get done. And most of all-- I actually did not want to be anywhere else. More than that- I wasn't even thinking about being anywhere else. I was not trying to convince myself that this was the right thing to do and the right place to be. And I loved it. All. I really experienced the kids. And life. And the moment.














For those of you that thoroughly enjoy children & life each day and for those of you that have not known me the past 10 + years this may seem like a no brainer to you. Or, more than that--this may appear simply what parents are supposed to do and all the things they are supposed to enjoy doing. Believe me, I have read all the parenting books, studied all the "right" ways to raise children, laid in bed countless nights guilt ridden with all my mistakes, been up late praying for what seems like years now, I've poured my heart out to counselors, spent far too many girls nights AND date nights discussing how hard I try to DO these things AND enjoy them at the same time BUT I can't begin to tell you how much I fail. And how doing them does not come easy for me in the way I had always dreamed. I have lived through panic disorder, obsessing about dying of cancer, regret for being the world's worst mom, and so much more. I spent a cruise to Alaska devastated that my kids did not have a "present" mom. A romantic over the top trip to Mexico (a week at the Four Seasons!) was ruined as I diagnosed myself with breast cancer. The family reunion visits to Hilton Head Island are never without feelings of real doom and despair over my thighs in a swimsuit---and after age 35--my stomach as well. An escape with Eric to Rosario Resort was spent paralyzed with fear that I had ovarian cancer. I know how ridiculous it must sound as I regale all the fabulous trips and opportunities I have in my life. I am very sincere when I say I am blessed. I assure you I do not take any of it for granted. And while I have always been a very happy person, I have also had deep fears. And worries. And doubts. And so much guilt for it all. I have faith in God which clearly conflicts with my obsessive, negative thoughts about illness, death, loss, and what I believe is at the root of it all- CONTROL and letting go.



So here I am. Changing. I can't pinpoint when it started but for me life is changing. Or at the least--life the way I view it is changing. I have attempted to "turn it over" to God numerous times and simply surrender to life. And I can honestly say I can feel it's happening. If you saw my post about riding roller coasters in Disneyland let me tell you- that whole trip was a break through. A guilt free journey~ free of health worries and weight issues AND the trip was complete with roller coaster rides! For me, that was unheard of.



Tonite as I stood feasting over the ice cream carton and loaded up an ice cream scoop with chocolate chip ice cream, whipped cream and sprinkles Eric commented, "There are limits, Kate. Wow, I need a picture of this." Limits. Believe me, I know limits I told him. I have been bound by them for far too long. "Go for it," I said. "No, wait!" And then I reached for a bright pink peanut M & M and plopped it onto the whipped cream top!










Because I am living. And I am loving it. And I can't believe this is me.


And I hope the sun shines again tomorrow because hanging at the park, drinking lemonade, and chatting with little people I have come to find can actually rock.


6 comments:

fiona said...

Yay You..

Here's to letting go, loving life and no guilt...

Great post Miss Katie!

P.S. Yup, that's me: letting go, no guilt and falling into a chocolate cake laden with ice cream, whipped cream and hot fudge...

Yup no guilt... (well not tonight anyway!)

Katie said...

oxox
k

Nick said...

Thank you, Katie ... for being so honest about the journey you've taken thus far through life. I've always had guilt issues but now a mom the guilt-factor has risen by 100.

Let's all kick off our shoes and celebrate - over ice cream!

M

Anonymous said...

The next time we take the kids out YOU and I are getting ice cream, too!

McJuicemom said...

Way to join the rest of us wack jobs in letting go! Guilt - know it well. Over-indulging ... queen of that! Feeling sorry for my wonderful kids to have a mom like me ... regular regret.

I am so happy for you though that you recognize this wonderful turn of events and have a record (in blogs) of how your life is ever-changing.

Calls for another GNO to celebrate!
R

Katie said...

yes, yes! Thanks girls for the notes and thoughts and for relating!! k